What should I do if I knock out my tooth?
Having a tooth knocked out is a stressful experience! Your first instinct may be to panic, but it's important that you remain calm and contact your emergency dentist in Southpark, NC as soon as possible. The quicker you act, the better the chances are of saving your tooth.
Steps to dealing with a knocked out tooth
- Don't touch the root - handle the tooth only by its crown
- Rinse the tooth if it's dirty
- Place it back into its socket if possible
- Keep the tooth moist with milk or saliva if it can't be placed into its socket
- See your dentist as soon as possible
There is a good chance that Dr. Gentry can preserve your tooth if you are proactive about visiting her office as soon as possible after your accident or trauma. Be sure to give us a call right away if you or a loved one suffers from a knocked out tooth.
Protect yourself or your loved ones by wearing a mouth guard when playing sports. Forty percent of all dental injuries are sports related, and you may be able to avoid a lost tooth by utilizing the right mouth guard.